Striped Bass -Guadalupe River Below Canyon Lake Dam

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

pontoonman

Re: Striped Bass -Guadalupe River Below Canyon Lake Dam

Post by pontoonman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 am

ShawnM, Thanks for trying to help me.
No disrespect intended, to you or anyone.
My writing is clearly labeled with PM: and should not be confused with your original message.
If it was a dumb question/comment, I apologize.
Don't know what else I can do to make it right.

Good Day!

PM

Mike Stand

Post by Mike Stand » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:53 am

The thing is I never said the following in any of my post ever, people can edit people's quotes in their reply which what it appears what took place here.
PM: It would appear that possession of 5 trout of any size is allowed even while fishing with bait within the restricted zones? That is if the 5 trout have been caught in the sections without restrictions, like within 800 yards of the dam release. This could happen when drifting down and fishing on a floating device launched at the dam, for example. Catch and release only for me, but some of my friends are meat fishermen that use both bait and artificial."
I don't know what kind of bullshit someone is trying to pull here but its childish as hell.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:32 pm

Word to the wise....
If you plan to keep Trout and are floating from the dam downstream into the 2 more restrictive harvest zones.....
If you are stopped by a game warden you will be held to the laws that apply to the zone where you are stopped.
Saying you caught the 5 fish in a zone with less restrictive laws, or too big, or too small, or whatever will be no defense.
They will hold you accountable to the laws that apply in that reach of the river.

Jimbo

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks, Jimbo.

PM

Cassio

Post by Cassio » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:41 am

* Lets get back to talking stripers*

With the trout season coming soon, I'll be heading to the river this weekend to try my luck at harvesting a striper or two. The fly rod record is 36lbs...Last weekend I spotted two of them that i think may be over that :shock: :shock:

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:44 am

I sure hope you get them !
I am sure that the previous 2 years of flooding on the Guadalupe have put a bunch of new Stripers in the river that need to be caught and removed.
The sooner the better !

Jimbo

Cassio

Post by Cassio » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:42 pm

Those of you guys with some experienced chasing these guys, what size leader/tippet are you guys using. I doubt these guys are leader shy.

Since I use a sinking line I keep my leader short (4-6ft). Is a 20lbs butt section and 15lbs tippet enough in the case of hooking a big one?

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:33 pm

That sounds like a perfect setup, you're good to go !!!

Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Cassio wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:42 pm
Those of you guys with some experienced chasing these guys, what size leader/tippet are you guys using. I doubt these guys are leader shy.

Since I use a sinking line I keep my leader short (4-6ft). Is a 20lbs butt section and 15lbs tippet enough in the case of hooking a big one?
On my Teeny lines, I use 1x Teeny 4' tapered leaders, and add 12# Seaguar for tippet.

Before I began targeting them, the first I caught was "by accident" - I was swinging size 10 streamers on T-130 and 3x tippet to check for rainbow holdovers.
Landed this at 450 cfs on 5-wt glass rod and Hardy reel
yeah, it took awhile, and the second that morning just before I got it to hand broke the hook on my little olive whistler.
Image Image
olive and gray (and combinations) were the only flies that ever took stripers for me.

here's a cats whisker with light olive tail, olive wing, and gray body
the best striper flies were gray tail and gray body, with either gray or light olive wing.
I threw tan, mustard and rust combinations at them also, which always work for white bass in clear water, but without reply.
Switch back to all gray or gray/olive, and hook up.

Should also add, stripers fillet beautifully. You can fillet them at home on a board and dig a hole in your planter for the residues.
They grill very nicely.
My favorite thing for any fish fillet is keep it in ice water in a big bowl in the refrigerator for at least a day - works for several days, just make sure there's ice floating in it.
This washes out blood and bile.
Prep to cook, drain the fillets on a stack of paper towels, 20 min/side, and spice the side that's up. I like to use lemon pepper and Cajun seasoning (experiment with your favorites, dill, Italian seasoning - nothing is incorrect).
Striper fillets are generally too big to saute in butter (unlike white bass or small specs), so the grill is the best choice.
I have this grill pan made for sauteing veggies, but it's also perfect for grilling fish. I prep it with spray grapeseed oil, let it get just a bit hot before adding the fish.
Baste the fish with melted butter, especially the side going down.
Not striper, but fillets from a 24" fish.

if you happen to have a Cobb grill, it's the ultimate fish-cooking machine

and the ultimate paleo meal - killed it and ate it
Ron Mc